Saturday, 10 October 2015

Darks with Lyra Rembrandt Polycolour pencils

Happy Saturday! Time for a new challenge over at the Pencil Case today!

If you havent been over there yet it's our new challenge blog for the amazingly wonderfully epicly brilliant (I like them, right?) Lyra Rembrandt Polycolour pencils!
Boy do I love these!
Love my Prisma's and Polychromos too but I love these more right now - SO SO easy to blend and lay down colour, my neck has and still is really bad at the moment and I keep having some dexterity issues in my hands so I can't be doing with any colouring which is heaby going, I just can't do it. But the Lyra R PC's are so soft and easy to use its not affecting me at all which is just what I need right now.

Having said that I got a bit behind this week and the one and only evening i had chance to colour I had a banging headache and my neck was seriously sore...I was going to wimp out but got my pencils out to see how I got on. Now I confess, I was aching and struggled a bit and I did rush this, but I think it's important to be honest - I managed to colour this in about an hour without much effort. If you're struggling go with darker colours so you can get a heavy colour laydown without having to do much work and it's much faster if you don't have much time too! Think about it, if you use dark pencils you can get the lighter tones by applying less pressure rather than starting light and then having to go darker and darker.

I do this a lot with pencils - because they give you such a wide range of tones theyre so much more forgiving.

It can be a bit tricky when you think 'Darks' but you can actually achieve this quite easily - really it just means contrast, if you get really good contrast between light and dark this will make your image really pop and the darks then become much darker without really being too hard to achieve. Optical illusion!
I adored this image from our lovely sponsor Melonheadz...this was from the Wizards Bundle here - they supply you with a bundle with little supporting elements so I pulled them all together in Word and just made my own little scene....I should probably have gone much darker but I really wanted to get a nice glow effect going on...
Colours I used are (sorry this might not be 100% as I forgot to write them down!)
Skin: 82 Brown Ochre, Umber, Light Carmine
Clothes: 55 Night Green, Violet
Cauldron & Cat: Black with a little Violet added
Bubbles: Night green, Veridien, Violet, Gold ochre
Background: Gold ochre, light carmine
White 01 to blend

So what are you waiting for? Go join in the challenge we have amazing prizes!

See you next time! x