Friday, 17 July 2015

Duo Tones Colouring Challenge at Graph'It markers sponsored by Kenny K

It's the start of a brand new challenge today over at Graph'It and this week we're sponsored by Kenny K.

ENTER the challenge HERE

As usual I forgot to check what the colour challenge was when I started to colour, got an idea in my head and then just went for it LOL,  but luckily how I did this fits into the Greys and Browns haha! I absolutely loved this image when I saw it over on the Kenny K website so I just had to use it...it looked really complicated to colour but actually it wasn't, it's just because there's a lot of detail in the image to guide you.  I really wanted to achieve a strong metallic and fur feel to the image and to get contrasting metals such as steel and bronze or iron so that it suited her armour...
I couldnt find the right colour palette for my 'vision' so I coloured it in first and then made the palette below so you can see the palette more easily. I love how the Graph'It greys all work so perfectly, you'd think I'd put loads of colour into this image when in fact all I used were Greys, Brown and Skintones! I added the background foliage just with flicks of the same colours and made sure that I used lots of mid and dark greys to make it really atmospheric, finished with the Graph'It Shake white marker to add some highlights. Grounding your image with just a tiny amount of grass or a flick of a twig really makes  a massive difference, helps you create a scene and helps to ground the image so it's not just floating. I have to admit I love how this one turned out, she really tells a story and when I saw this palette below and the inspiration I just imagined her standing in all that mist in the photo having just slain some mystical creature lurking from the fog...
Unfortunately I forgot to write down the colours I used but it would have been something like this:
Skin: 4101, 4105, 4125, 4150, 3105, 3120, 3210
Clothing: Metallics - 9101-9109 Blue Greys
fur boots: 3210 - 3290
fur cloak: 4125, 4150, 3105