Friday, 15 May 2015

Anything But Square - Graph'It colouring challenge

Today is challenge day over at Graph'It and despite my eyes falling out by the time I get home from being glued to a screen for 9 hours a day solid, I've done loads of colouring lately for various things. I'm trying to be a much better blogger! hahah I hear you snort!

Anyway today is all about Anything Square and I've used our sponsor image for this one. I colour up first - it always surprises me when I see people say they choose their papers first.
SO, SO SO SO SO WRONG!!!
LOL!
Of course it's each to their own but when I colour an image I don't have a plan really - ALWAYS start with skin because thats the biggest booboo part, then hair, that's an even bigger booboo possibility. So I just pick the colour hair I fancy there and then and see where that takes me. You can then co-ordinate the clothing to contrast because you have many many more colour choices for clothing. Simples!
And then - biggest choice of all, choose your papers at the end! The papers should compliment (in my opinion) not dictate. It's like choosing your carpet to match your wallpaper - you wouldnt really do it that way around would ya? Anyway, s'up to you and I'm no Kim Wok Chung or whatevs his name is!

Now, SKIN, let's talk SKIN with Graph'It. I've been using GI's for 2+ years now and there is only one combo i really have found I love and stick to and it's this one which I've listed below - it works every time for me. And whilst we're here I really need to reiterate something:
 COLOUR CHART!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! COLOUR IN YOUR CHART!!!
If you don't, you're going to be unhappy as hell quite honestly! 
AND NUMBERS!!!! 
The biggest reason you need to colour in your chart PROPERLY (and I dont mean some half-assed scribble here, get 3 layers of colour in each block and NO WAY should that colour have streaks in it - this is the ONLY way to do it! believe me!)
On Graph'It the numbers kinda fool you a little. Because this is a new brand of marker, they clearly cannot just suddenly produce a million marker colours all in one go, even though we'd love them to. So, GI have been VERY clever. Because the inventor used to work for both Copic and Letraset, she knew what she wanted. And this brand is in it for the long term, not a fly by night, cheap craft product that's low quality and will be here today gone tomorrow.
So the colour chart is set up FUTUREPROOFED
THIS MEANS THAT THERE ARE GAPS - 
I REPEAT!!!!
THERE ARE GAPS IN THE NUMBERS!!!!!! A LOT OF GAPS!!!!
These numbers will be filled as and when the range grows. But if you think about it, of course there are gaps!
But, as a user, you MUST take this into account and remember it!!
If you don't, your colour blends WILL NOT WORK and you will end up with dirty smudging where you've been mixing the wrong colour families together.
It kills me, but I see this ALL the time, even with 'experienced' users. You MUST remember this to get success!
Once you have coloured in your OWN chart - PROPERLY - this will be more obvious to you so long as you're not colour blind and look properly and follow my advice, which is borne from experience in the early days - i very quickly learned why I was getting patchy faces! URGHHHH measles!

For instance, PINKS....
5110, 5115, 5120, 5125, 5130, 5135 etc....
So you look at this list and can see there are 5 number gaps between each colour, right? Yep!
BUT there is another thing here! 5110 and 5115 DO NOT BLEND!
Well, they do, but they're different colour families on the colour wheel! 
If you put 5110 and 5115 next to each other, 5110 is clean and 5115 has some grey/blue in it. 5115 is a dirty pink. So mix a clean and a dirty and you get patchy and not great.
Instead, look at the chart - you can SEE the tones that work together and they skip around a little because within the pinks we have RED pinks and BLUE pinks. If all the numbers were filled they would blend right across the colour wheel but you need to take account of the gaps.  Generally (but not always) you will find a PAIR of colours next to each other, or maybe 3, but generally it'll be a pair, skip one and then the 3rd colour you need.
ie Purples or rather Violets as theyre known in the colour world: 
6110, 6120, 6125, 6130, 6140, 6150 is a great example of this:
6110 and 6120 can be mixed as they're both so pale but really they shouldnt be. 
6120 really belongs with 6130 and 6140 (I'm typing without my colour chart so this might be a little one out) and then no way would you go 6110, 6130, 6150 - 6150 is a Red Violet and is a totally differnet colour and should never be mixed with any of the numbers in front of it! 
But the only way you see it is by doing the colour chart the way i do it.
Now, I am working with GI to bring a revised chart with the colours split into the colour wheel more so it's more obvious to those of us who aren't colour experts and pro designers. And I've also requested that they split this further into some proper blend sets too because that will make it so much easier, but this is a mammoth job so it's underway and when it arrives i will be one happy bunny indeed! 

Anyway, enough of the lecture but it's something I wanted to iron out once and for all because i KNOW this will help you massively if you are a GI user. 

So back onto what I made - this has turned into a mammoth post, sorry! 

I coloured this little chicky up (see the GI blog for more info) a couple of weeks before i made the card and when I went back to her she looked such a little misery I made her a little cloud of doom LOL.
  I knew my good friend would love this having the same twisted SOH that I do and she is going through a really tough time right now, she needs some motivation to keep her going when everything is hitting the fan so I just kinda went with the flow and threw the other bits together. I put her slouching on the frame cos she is just soooooo MEH!! with her attitood dont ya think? Slouched there like the world is about to come to an end!

 The dies are by Sizzix, first time I used these I got them in their bargainous sale and I love them. I always always cut in white so I can then colourise the cuts to match what I'm making. I am so lazy it's a massive inconvenience for me to reach down to my feet to pickup my Big Shot and move stuff on the desk to put it there so when I cut, I cut, and I cut loads together, so doing them in white saves me a ton of time and lots of energy. I coloured them with the black coarse sparkle Pan Pastel which is a perm fixture on my desk now, I cannot live without the blighter, I have often wondered what it would look like as eyeshadow! 
The little squares I wanted to be Stampbord but then realised Leonie flipping Pujol STOLE all my stash!! shock horror, she's such a lightfingered madam!! So I had to impro and purely by luck my Pan Pastel'd fingers came across some spare Docrafts/Papermania tiles in the bottom of my toolbox so I flipped em over and added some scrawl. 

Skin: 4125, 4150, 4150 & 3120 mixed using Mix'It palette, 4135 outer cheeks and 4145 inner cheeks. (9402 added later as extra shadows under the hair and 9400 used as shadows around the eyes)
Hair: 9502 added on top of 9400, 9403, 9405, 9407, 9409
Clothing: 4125, 4150, 9400
Wings: 4125 (use this loads, can you tell?), 7220, 7240, 7260, 9406, 9408
Plus my faithful cannot be without Graph'It Shake White pen - THE best white pen ever!!