Sunday, 20 April 2014

Embellish/Grungey We Do Doobadoo/Pan Pastels

Hey everyone and Happy Easter Sunday!
I hope you're all enjoying your holiday weekend - it's been nose to the grindstone for me all weekend as always, I really must have been very naughty in a previous life! 

I realise I've been absent for some time which as ever is because of being busy busy busy with designing and lots of Create and Craft, but onto more of that later...

Today I am cheating and have combined TWO projects in one! Yesterday at the
  We Do Doobadoo challenge our theme is 
EMBELLISH IT
and over at the Pan Pastel challenge I asked the team to go 
GRUNGE
Love a bit of grunge!...in fact I adore a LOT of grunge but I just don't get much chance to revel in my first love these days! 

Now, I know we all totally revere Captain Tim of Holtz for his amazingness and i adore him too but since I started using PanPastels I rarely rarely pick up a Distress Ink anymore, to the point where I still only have the first 2 sets of colours! I just find that I dont need to buy all the inks because I now mix all my colours myself with various shades of PanPastels. I just find them quicker to use, more forgiving and if I make a mistake I can just rub it out and start again! Bonus!
So on this make today this is a Dutch Doobadoo storage cabinet (sorry, we are out of stock on these right now but I hope to get them in really soon!). I covered the MDF unit in printed papers from my Picknix 1 collection which are my all time favourites, then grunged them up with Burnt Sienna and Black Pan Pastel (just adding black where I wanted it really dark).

You can see from the photo here how much I loved decorating this. I covered the top of the unit in pages from an old paperback book...now please don't judge! This is a contentious issue for me because I adore altering books but I am MEGA fussy about which books you may or may not deface I'm afraid! Please be assured this was a 1970s rubbishy paperback of no value whatsoever! 

I cut lots of leaves using my Tim Holtz die and then cut loads of hearts and made flowers with them and distressed them right up, adding paper flowers to them too. 
A couple of years ago some lovely amazingly kind person sent me a massive haul of antique and vintage buttons anonymously (to this day I thank you to the bottom of my heart for such kindness) and I treasure them so much I can't use them. I think whoever sent them knew this and knew how much care and love I would give them. Anyway, I succumbed and used some on this project. You can't see them but on the pic above I used 2 of the gorgeous glass ones as drawer handles. At some point no doubt these will be recycled again if this ever gets bashed up LOL!...
On the top I then added the Honeycomb from Doobadoo, together with lots of the swirls, hearts and butterflies from the Laser Art range which are just amazingly intricate but surprisingly robust too! A few stamps and bits and bobs and it was done. You can see all the products I used HERE...
For those wanting to know about if I sealed the Pan Pastels or not - yes I did on this: the best thing to seal them with is Artists Pastel Spray. BUT this is pretty expensive at £7 for a little can, so we (the PP team) all use our Maimeri Matt Gel Medium which is perfect for sealing any kind of mixed media and gives a great transparent matt finish to everything!

So that's me for today! Make sure you head over to the Pan Pastel challenge blog and the We Do Doobadoo challenge to see all the gorge projects from the team! 

The exciting news I have to share today is that you can see me on  Create & Craft TV on
29th April showcasing We Do Doobadoo for the very first time!
So i really hope you join me, the products from Dutch Doobadoo are amazing and you will love them when you try and see them! They really do enhance all your projects whether that is cardmaking, altered art or scrapbooking and it's unusual to get a range which can be that versatile!
So I hope you join me on 29th April!!