Friday, 19 August 2011

Polkadoodles Challenge - a single layer

So my teamies over on the Polkadoodles challenge blog set a toughie this week! We could only use a single layer on our cards...eek!!
But, lucky for me I've been doing loads of single layer cards for a while on my various demo's so I think I probably found it a little easier than some of the others but it really showed us all how much we love to embellish our projects I think! Go on, try it, it's harder than you think!

Well, I musto confess now. I had this card up my sleeve from a while back but it fits the challenge really well. If you don't count the red mat under the piccy that is, but my neat little trick counteracts that I think.  I used my favest stamps (I really do think these are some of my all time fave ever) and just did loads of masking and layering. The colouring is ALL Promarkers, just using a mix of greys and adding a black right at the very top of the sky. Then I ran over it with a white inkssentials pen to create all the little snowflakes.  I think this card was the very first scene I made like this and to be honest I still adore it, I want to go inside, it looks like they have a big tree and a cosy fire to sit round doesnt it!?


So did you see the neat little trick that fits the challenge perfickly?  See the scallop sentiment? That is also a stamp - well, two actually. The scallop was stamped and then the message inside it (stamps are here, this is SUCH a great sentiment set, you will use it forever). Then I took a craft knife and just cut slightly around the scallop so I could weave the ribbon through. So you see, it looks like it's mat and layered onto the card but in fact is part of the card itself. So as it's a 0 layer it cancels out the cheaty red layer in my world! But neat huh?  I love it, even in real life I still want to touch the edge of that scallop, it looks so 3D.
So there we go, my take on this week's challenge - if you haven't checked the rest of my teamies work yet make sure you do, there are some amazing projects on there! squeeeeeeeeel!